Monday 16 July 2012

How times change...





































Whilst painting this morning and listening to the thundering of the rain on my studio roof I was reflecting about times gone bye. Unusually for me, my mind focused on college days in Swansea
where us budding technical illustrators were obsessed with all things 'airbush'.  Squirting paint with pressurised air as our guiding light onto art board and film, which had been 'oh so delicatly' been cut and carved to mask and protect our images. Without doubt, the skills obtained in art school were invaluable, leaning to draw accurately, mastering perspective, light, tone and shade has served me well.  A lot of it very technical and pretty boring, though I am extremely grateful and it set me on my way to a professional career in illustration and art.

Today, 'wearing my painters hat,'  I started a new painting and attempting to counteract our wettest summer since Noah donned his speedos. 'The big blue breaking through..'  is in it's infancy but I was revelling in the fact that on this metre square canvas I was throwing paint on and using my 3 inches decoraters brush and a palette knife! It's really rather liberating stuff and really great fun. However, the skills gathered whilst 'putt putt-ing' my paint through compressor and airbrush all those years ago has helped me no end. But oh, how times have changed... Bigger brushes for me please.

Painting:  The big blue breaking through.. (just started)
Hand : mine
Brushes : various suppliers or at a good hardware store near you




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well if you're going to have one, have a big one!!!! x