Friday 31 August 2012

New for old


Here is a golden oldie, just framed and it will be on display for the first time next week. It's sat alongside me for about 12 years, maybe more... It was painted at a time when I was utterly consumed with being an illustrator and working very very hard. However it was always a creative direction I wanted to move towards, that's 'becoming a painter more than pragmatic illustrator.'  Being honest, I was terrified to live the life of a fine artist being fully aware of just how fickle the art world is. Illustration and visualising paid the mortgage and 'that was that!'
Times change of course and nowadays I'm a lot braver and experienced and perhaps 'stupid too... 'Today I'm 'Prout the painter' and virtually do no illustration work (by choice). I guess us creatives keep significant pieces of work that we use as 'stepping stones' to help us move on. This piece is indeed one of my stepping stones.  I still love it... and it has helped me move on. It's a part of my history.... and  'just thought I'd show it orf!'

Lazy morning, Mawsley lane.
Acrylic on Panel
50 x 50cm plus frame.

2 comments:

the veg artist said...

It would have been such a shame, had you not concentrated on painting full time. The lucky people who are able to see and buy your paintings must get such pleasure from them.
It takes a lot to give up a steady income, though. I'm an ex-civil servant, retired after developing a painful (but I'm not ill) condition. I doubt that I'll ever sell what I make, but I do wish that I had started to take it more seriously earlier in my life. After all, we only have one stab at things!

chris prout said...

Too true, we're a long time dead. Do what makes you feel good and be happy!