Monday 14 January 2013

Matt Monro



I've spent a fair bit of time in Wales during recent months and have to admit enjoying my reinvigorated Welshness!  It's true I've lived on the Saxon side of the River Severn longer than the other ... that's life.  So maybe I'm now officially 'Wenglish!' Wenglish of course is a language all on its own.  'It' being an amalgam of words and sounds and dialects. It's not something I partake in but it really does make me laugh when I hear it. I've also taken the opportunity to really enjoy the sea once again and affirm my love of coastal life. Experiencing the sea and listening to it's rhythms is so incredibly relaxing.  Allied to this and along with Lavabread, rissoles and Pobyl y Cwm, I've also consumed other sorts of Cymru rhythms too. The Principality has a long history with song of course and I've recently enjoyed watching live some excellent contemporary tunesmith favourites of mine namely Martyn Joseph, Al Lewis and the fantastic Paper Aeroplanes... They are all, 'like me' anglicised but also retain a sense of being. It's all rather cool.. and helps keep me connected with my roots. Anyway, enough of this for I'm rarebiting on. Suffice to say, our connection are the hills and sea and the emotional response to it.

Illustrated above is new painting inspired by a recent visit. I was drawn by the light, the force of the sea and just the sheer presence of space. There was so much going on and well it was simply glorious...  I found myself breathing in deeply.. heady with salt water I swooned and hummed a tune.

Then I thought,  'I'm not sure if Matt Monro is Wenglish but he like me would surely enjoy being here and 'Watching the gulls go by...'

Watching the gulls go by... Gower,  South Wales 
Acrylic on canvas
90 x90 cm
Winter 2013

1 comment:

the veg artist said...

Hiraeth gets you in the end!