Wednesday 12 March 2014

Shadow and shapes













I do enjoy my sketchbook.. I sort out all manner of issues before I tussle with a canvas and paint.
Demonstrated here on a recent visit to Trefin, I encounted an array of stimulating situations. A cracking view, rough sea, a cliff edge, land and property. Along with a seriously windy day, sunshine and shadow. I produced thumbnail sketches whilst sitting still and looking, I worked briskly to capture the essential components to this composition. Cast shadow and shapes are the backbone to my landscape. Back in the studio I attempt to capture the drama and excitement in monochrome before considering colour.  However 'memory' is the vital component for me and it also adds the 'Prout' brand to the situation. I've got a positive feeling this image will grow into a fully fledged painting very soon...  I'm pretty happy with this draft.

More work like will shall be on show from 5th July - 17th August 2014 at The Alfred East Art Gallery.

Windy at Trefin
25x25cm Acrylic, Inks, pencil



No comments: